92 GROLLGRANG'S INNER SANCTUM. This room is larger than the previous room, but holds fewer occupants. Here Grollgrang schemes to take down the Orthodox division of the cult.
Grollgrang the Pure, Lawful Evil male human Cleric of the Worm God/ Gray Wormspawn Mastermind (AC 8; MV 12“; Hit Dice 7; hp 31; #AT 1; D Footman's mace +2 due to strength; SA Spell use; MR 10%; S 18, I 16, W 10, D 16, C 18, CH 16; XP 823)
First Level Cleric Spells:
Cause Light Wounds (from the Gray Tear), Cure Light Wounds, Curse, Resist Cold
Second Level Cleric Spells:
Hold Person, Resist Fire, Silence, 15' Radius
Third Level Cleric Spells:
Bestow Curse, Cause Disease
The thing about Grollgrang is that his mind has been completely taken over by the gray wormspawn living in him. It has learned that drinking a steady supply of unholy water will allow it to remain in the cleric's body even though it has completely eaten Grollgrang's brain. It still casts spells as a sixth level cleric, which is the level Grollgrang had attained.
The Worm-Grollgrang can cast Grollgrang's current spells, but it cannot learn new spells and cannot perform other cleric functions, such as turning undead. For spell components it has a small box of sulphur for the resist cold spell and six vials of unholy water for the curse spell and for drinking. The unholy water is kept in specially leaded crystal vials worth 5 gold crescents each. It wears the Gray Tear on a silver cord (20 gold crescents) on his neck. It knows that Karnath Zhul is imprisoned somewhere in the Upper Chapel area (Rooms 65 to 69) and is planning on an expedition to awaken the creature to fight for it against the Orthodox cultists.
If the body it inhabits is brought to 0 hit points, it will emerge in 1 round to fight as a unusually large gray wormspawn. It looks different from other gray wormspawn. It has tiny slightly malformed hands and bulging bloodshot eyes. It can still use Grollgrang's remaining spells even in this form. It calls itself Grollgrang, too.
Grollgrang's as a Gray Wormspawn (AC 7; MV 9”; HD 3+1; hp 24; #AT 1 bite; D 1-4; SA Drain blood for 6 hit points per round; XP 146)
The monster is served by a cleric and three heretical cultists, all of whom are also hosts to gray wormspawn, although they are not altered in the way the creature in Grollgrang's body is.
Mufarg the Praiseworthy, Lawful Evil male human Cleric of the Worm God (AC 10; MV 12“; C2; hp 9; #AT 1; D Footman's Flail +2 to damage due to strength; SA Spell use; S 18, I 10, W 12, D 9, C 18, CH 6; XP 77)
First Level Cleric Spells:
Cure Light Wounds, Darkness
3 Heretical Worm Cultists (AC 10; MV 12”; F2; hp 12, 8, 10; #AT 1; D Dagger +2 due to strength; XP 71, 59, 65)
The cultists wear gray robes and have 8 to 18 (2d6+6) gold cylinders each.
4 Gray Wormspawn (AC 7; MV 9”; HD 2+1; hp 12, 12, 9, 6; #AT 1 bite; D 1-4; SA Drain blood for 4 hit points per round; XP 86, 86, 77, 68)
Grollgrang has prepared a treasure chest of 1000 gold cylinders as a down payment to the hobgoblins, which sits in the middle of the room. It wants to buy food and weapons to supply its cultists to wipe out its rival Blaftox.
The room is furnished sparsely, though there is a large bed near the north wall for Grollgrang and straw mattresses have been placed on the floor to accommodate the others. The room is well lit by wall mounted torchlight. Grollgrang has assembled a small hoard of additional treasure near the west wall, including:
- A large book on a lectern. This book has a cover made of leather, dyed light gray, and all the paper is similarly colored. Ink is in bright red or black. It is a combination of hymnal and prayer book to the Worm God and as such it is worth about 500 gold crescents only to a collector of esoteric religions. It weighs about 300 gp weight. Its last few pages, however, are actually cleric scroll spells: protection from good, sticks to snakes, and insect plague. The sticks to snakes spell actually turns the snakes into gray worms with the same stats as snakes and the insect plague spell actually summons tiny gray worms, but the effects are identical to the normal spells.
- A jar on a pillow holding 5 wriggling gray wormlings, each about an inch long. These are identical in function to rot grubs, but are considered sacred creatures by the cultists. The wormlings are currently enjoying a meal of a human hand.
5 Sacred Gray Wormlings (AC 9; MV 1”; HD 1 hit point; hp 1 each; #AT 0; D Nil; SA Burrow into flesh; XP -)
- Three fat bags of gold cylinders (1 gold crescent value each). The bags hold 313, 612, and 218 cylinders, respectively.
- A small iron box holding gray wooden sticks inlaid with tiny sapphires, rubies, and emeralds. These are useful for the augury spell and worth 2500 gold crescents in total.
- A silver coffer (145 gold crescent value) holding 10 vials of unholy water. Each vial is made of specially leaded crystal and worth 5 gold crescents.