27K ENTROPY ROOM. The walls radiate strange patterns of colored light, constantly moving and changing. A gnome sits near the west wall, facing the room entrance. A small stone statue of a head is strapped to the top of the gnome's skull, emitting a soft gibbering sound. Next to the gnome is a small leather bag.
The room is under a special kind of magic entropy field produced by the gibbering stone head. If a person starts to move towards the west wall, they will begin to slow down involuntarily, finally coming to a complete stop about halfway along. Any kind of movement is affected, so flyers will slow down and come to rest on the floor. Observers will notice the stop, but to the person doing the movement, the effect is not noticeable, although they will become frustrated that the room appears to be taking so long to traverse.
Silencing the stone head will stop the field, and teleportation works normally. Other solutions on how to reach the gnome are also possible. If the stone head is removed from the room it will stop gibbering until brought back. The person wearing the stone head is immune to the entropy field.
Chaos Gnome, Chaotic Neutral male gnome Illusionist (AC 6; MV 6”; I7; hp 20; #AT 0; D Nil; S 15, I 18, W 6, D 18, C 12, Ch 16; SA Magic use; XP 850)
First Level Illusionist Spells:
Change self, darkness, hypnotism, light
Second Level Illusionist Spells:
Blur, invisibility, mirror image
Third Level Illusionist Spells:
Dispel illusion, paralyzation
The lights are providing entertainment for the gnome. To his highly trained eyes they tell him stories and secrets. If the adventurers are able to reach him and they are not rude, he will give them gifts from his bag. He has the following:
- wand of wonder (54 charges)
- manual of puissant skill at arms
- a music box with a tiny bear standing on atop and a windable key. If the music box is wound up the bear will dance and the winder will gain strength (as the spell) for one hour. Usable once per day.
- a ring with a small golden beetle on it. Once per day the beetle may be removed and it will fly off, acting like a wizard eye with respect to the owner. It can stay away from the ring for one turn and can fit through any small space that would be accessible to an insect.
- a small flask holding a potion that will cure any mutation from Room 27I.
- a magic broom that will move behind the owner and sweep away all trace of his or her passage, usable for up to six hours per day.
One gift will be given per person. The chaos gnome will try to match gifts to owners who will find them useful. If there are not enough given in the list above for all the characters, add minor magic items, such as a potion or scroll so that all are included.